Breast augmentation is a transformative surgical procedure that enhances the size, shape, and overall appearance of the breasts. A timeless symbol of femininity, a woman’s breasts can be a crucial aspect of her body image and self-esteem. If you have always desired larger breasts, or if you want to restore your breasts to their previous size and shape, breast augmentation surgery may be the solution you’ve been seeking.
The board-certified plastic surgeons at Plastic Surgeons of Lexington provide individualized breast augmentation consultations for women from Lexington, Cincinnati, Knoxville, and beyond. Please contact us online today or call us at (859) 276-3883 to schedule your consultation today.
Before & After Photos
- 1 Before & After Photos
- 2 About Breast Augmentation
- 3 Types of Breast Implant
- 4 Benefits of Breast Augmentation
- 5 Candidates for Breast Augmentation
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Finding the Right Size for Your Breast Implant
- 8 Incision Placement
- 9 Breast Implant Placement
- 10 Why Choose Plastic Surgeons of Lexington?
- 11 Cost of Breast Augmentation in Lexington
- 12 References
About Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation is a plastic surgery procedure that enhances your breasts through the placement of implants. It is hugely popular, having increased in popularity by 206.8% since 1997. (1)
Your breast augmentation can be customized in several ways to achieve the appearance and results you desire, including:
- Breast Size
- Breast Shape
- Incision Placement
- Implant Placement
No two patients are the same, and successful breast augmentation requires the skill and attention of an experienced plastic surgeon who will listen to your concerns, assess your physical contours, and devise a tailored treatment plan that addresses your unique goals. At Plastic Surgeons of Lexington, we pride ourselves on understanding the specific needs and attributes of each patient and delivering safe, consistently exceptional results.
It’s important to remember that with breast augmentation, the quality of your results depends on more than just size; your breasts should look natural. Achieving a beautiful and natural-looking appearance involves several factors, such as the type of implant you choose as well as projection.
Types of Breast Implant
FDA-approved for women aged 18 and older, saline breast implants are smooth, round silicone shells filled with a sterile, saline solution. Benefits of saline implants include:
- Saline implants can be filled after they are inserted into your breasts, allowing for a smaller incision and greater control over individual implant size
- In the event of a saline implant rupture, the sterile saline solution is safely absorbed by your body
Silicone implants are a tremendously popular option and provide several advantages to breast augmentation patients. Some of the greatest benefits of choosing silicone implants include:
- Silicone implants can retain their size and shape, even after a shell defect
- Silicone implants can be placed above chest muscles without concern of eventual aesthetic flaws such as rippling
- Silicone breast implants tend to look and feel more like natural breasts, due to their thicker, cohesive filing
What Are Gummy Bear Implants?
Gummy bear implants are FDA-approved for patients who are at least 22 years old or who are undergoing post-cancer breast reconstruction at any age. Due to their enhanced stability, gummy bear implants offer certain benefits over other silicone implant options. Much like their namesake, gummy bear candy, gummy bear implants can retain their shape and not leak, even when cut in half. This is thanks to the internal cross-linking of silicone within the shell. Gummy bear implants are our surgeons’ preferred type of breast implant.
Breast Augmentation or Breast Lift?
On their own, implants cannot correct the breast sagging that many women experience with aging. A breast lift may be recommended in these situations to achieve an attractive, natural-looking contour.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
Through the use of saline or silicone breast implants, our highly-trained and experienced breast surgeons can help to improve the appearance of your breasts and enhance your overall figure. The advantages of breast augmentation can be as varied as the women who undergo the procedure, providing several benefits, such as:
- Increased or restored breast volume
- Improved overall shape of the breasts
- More symmetrical breasts
- A more beautifully contoured profile
- Balanced body proportions
- Better fitting clothes and swimsuits
No matter your reason for considering breast augmentation, whether you want to achieve larger breasts, correct asymmetry or restore your breasts to their pre-pregnancy shape, our surgeons can provide the technical skill, meticulous artistry, and compassionate understanding you need to achieve the beautiful, long-lasting results you deserve.
Candidates for Breast Augmentation
During your consultation, our breast surgeon will review your health and medical history to ensure this procedure is appropriate for you. Generally speaking, good breast augmentation candidates are:
- In good physical health
- Near an ideal weight
- Have fully-developed breasts
- Have adequate natural breast tissue
- Do not have autoimmune disorders
- Have not been diagnosed with cancer or a precancerous condition
Successful breast augmentation results rely on the elegant union of your existing breast tissue and the implant options you choose. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to success. Before the placement of your implants, we will conduct a thorough examination and take your measurements. This process, in addition to the recommendations and sizing methods offered by our skilled physicians, will help guide your implant choice and ensure the size and shape complement your unique frame.
At Plastic Surgeons of Lexington, we believe that the best results come from patient-focused, individualized care. Your breast augmentation will be fully customized for your needs and physicality, delivering elegant, natural-looking results. You have a wide variety of options available to you, and we will work closely with you to ensure your breast enhancement achieves your specific goals.
During your personal breast augmentation consultation, we will discuss your objectives, assess the condition of your breast tissue, and make recommendations about how to best achieve the results you seek. Once these decisions have been made, you can schedule your breast enlargement surgery.
Finding the Right Size for Your Breast Implant
Finding the ideal size for your breast implant requires experience, skill, and artistry. Our plastic surgeons must consider a number of factors when helping you determine the best size for you. Bigger isn’t always better. We will work closely with you to make sure we find the perfect breast size that looks natural, compliments your frame, and achieves your goals.
When helping you determine the ideal breast size for your new figure, our breast surgeons will assess a variety of factors, including:
- Desired final breast appearance
- Skin elasticity
- The amount of existing breast tissue
- Your lifestyle
- Your weight, height, breast, and chest dimensions
We will begin the process of breast implant sizing at your initial consultation. We will use helpful methods to offer you a clear idea of what your new breasts may look like.
There are three incision options to choose from when considering breast augmentation, each with its own pros and cons. Our experienced breast surgeons will carefully explain all of your options and ultimately recommend which choice will deliver the best results for your unique body type and aesthetic goals.
Your breast augmentation incision options may include: (2)
- Inframammary: This type of incision is made in the fold where the lower part of the breast meets the wall of the chest (inframammary fold). These incisions are usually between three to five centimeters long. In addition to being easily hidden by a bra or bikini, inframammary incisions provide surgeons with more control over precision and bleeding.
- Periareolar: Using this method, an incision is made around the areola, concealing any scarring in the dark pigment. Periareolar incisions are sometimes preferred when performing breast augmentation in combination with a breast lift.
- Transaxillary: The breast implant is placed through a small incision in the armpit.
There is no single incision placement that is best for every patient. While there are a variety of incision options, each approach offers distinct advantages and disadvantages.
Your surgeon will consider a variety of factors when determining the ideal strategy for you, including your:
- Personal preference for incision location
- Whether you also need a breast lift
- Breast implant type, size, and placement
- Desired fullness and cleavage
- Quality and amount of natural breast tissue
- Your body type
Breast Implant Placement
The location where your breast implants are placed directly affects the look and feel of your final results. Determining the ideal implant placement location is based on your unique goals and physical features. During your initial consultation, we will discuss all of your options and recommend the approach that best suits your expectations and anatomical structure.
With submuscular or dual plane breast implant placement, your implant is placed below both the breast tissue and your chest’s pectoral muscle. Not only does this technique reduce the likelihood of visible rippling, it reduces the risk of capsular contracture, a complication in which hard scar tissue forms a capsule around the implant.
The recovery period for breast augmentation with submuscular placement is slightly longer. However, most women find this issue is offset by the many benefits of submuscular placement such as reduced postsurgical complications and overall appearance.
Subglandular placement involves the placement of breast implants just below the tissue of your breast but above the chest muscle. This may be appropriate for patients who enjoy vigorous physical activities such as weight lifting because it reduces the risk of changes to breast shape during the contraction of chest muscles.
Subglandular placement is achievable with every type of breast implant, but you need to have enough natural breast tissue to cover the implant for this to be a viable option. Our surgeon will thoroughly explain all of the advantages and associated risks of each placement technique during your consultation and recommend the option that is best suited for your goals, lifestyle, and physical characteristics.
Why Choose Plastic Surgeons of Lexington?
For more than 65 years, Plastic Surgeons of Lexington has been the premier choice for cosmetic and reconstructive surgery in the Central Kentucky area. Our board-certified plastic surgeons can provide the expertise, skill, and artistic eye you need to achieve world-class, natural-looking results. Our compassionate bedside manner and commitment to your sense of comfort will help you feel at ease throughout your experience.
We will explain your breast enhancement options and help you find a solution that best meets your needs.
Cost of Breast Augmentation in Lexington
The cost of breast augmentation surgery at Plastic Surgeons of Lexington is determined by various factors that are unique to each patient and their specific treatment plan. If you are considering breast augmentation surgery in Lexington, or are in Cincinnati, Knoxville, or elsewhere, please contact Plastic Surgeons of Lexington today by calling (859) 276-3883 or completing this form to schedule your consultation. Your initial consultation can be virtual if you live outside of Kentucky.
For more information about the procedures we offer at Plastic Surgeons of Lexington please visit the Services page.
- Kaoutzanis C, Winocour J, Unger J, Gabriel A, Maxwell GP. The Evolution of Breast Implants. Seminars in Plastic Surgery. 2019;33(04):217-223. doi:https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0039-1696985
- Swanson E. Incision and Capsular Contracture Risk. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2023;90(4):389-391. doi:https://doi.org/10.1097/sap.0000000000003437